The meeting took place virtually on 15 October 2021.
Meeting objectives, expected outputs and outcomes were to:
- Discuss and present the final findings of the Gap Analysis report for the draft packaging waste law in Azerbaijan following the review from all related parties;
- Discuss and present the findings of the Recommendations report and Roadmap to establish an EPR system for the packaging waste in Azerbaijan;
- Exchange knowledge on the current status of the Azerbaijani waste management system;
- Discuss next steps and the main recommendations from the consultants on the future set-up of EPR for packaging in Azerbaijan; and
- Discuss future support that Azerbaijan may require in establishing the EPR principle.
The meeting gathered around 30 participants, including relevant governmental institutions, local authorities, UNEP, academia, private sector and CSOs in Azerbaijan.
The application of strategic approaches to waste management can assist in addressing countries’ overarching waste management challenges. To this end, within EU4Environment’s component 2.4 on “The use of strategic approaches on waste management” UNEP supports countries in promoting development of comprehensive sustainable waste management policies and policy instruments. More specifically, under Activity 2.4.2 Initiating/assisting the establishment of Extended Producers Responsibility (EPR) schemes, UNEP provides technical assistance to partner countries in the establishment of EPR schemes for the packaging waste streams. This is achieved through the provision of advisory services and capacity development/trainings to policy makers, businesses and business associations, as well as Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and other stakeholders.