Under the European Union-funded, EU4Environment Action, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is introducing the EU Single Market for Green Products (SMGP) initiative in Georgia.
Within this activity, UNIDO is looking for stakeholders interested in or working on issues related to green economy, circular economy, Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP), or environmental protection. The stakeholders are invited to join a dedicated training on the Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) methodology and its potential benefits for Georgian industries wishing to export their products to the EU market. The three-day training will be organized online across three days, in April 2023. After its completion, five experts and five enterprises will be invited to pilot the implementation of the PEF methodology in the country.
For more information and application, please visit: https://bit.ly/3zc1n5U.
Deadline: 24 April 2023
What is Product Environmental Footprint?
PEF is a multi-criteria measurement of the environmental performance of a good or service throughout its life cycle. It was introduced by the European Commission in 2013 under the SMGP initiative to enhance comparability within a product category, and give clear indicators to producers and consumers. PEF information is produced with the purpose to reduce the environmental impacts of goods, taking into account their supply chain activities (from the extraction of raw materials, through production and use, to final waste management). In brief, PEF is the EU-recommended tool to quantify a good’s environmental impacts.
Currently, in the EU’s Eastern Partnership (EaP) region, the PEF methodology is promoted as an activity led by UNIDO through the EU-funded EU4Environment Action. Here, the planned work for 2023 includes:
- mapping existing practices and barriers to introducing PEF and comparing those to the available product greening schemes (e.g. ecolabelling)
- raising awareness and understanding of the opportunities and benefits of the SMGP initiative and PEF application
- leading the way to piloting and promoting PEF in selected EaP industries
The EU4Environment programme will:
- make local stakeholders aware of the potential benefits and impact of applying PEF
- create local capacity in the EaP region to help the national industries be better prepared for policies involving PEF
- provide learning opportunities for local experts to master the PEF application within their national context
Read more about PEF and the SMGP initiative from our dedicated leaflet available in English and Georgian.