Spatial Arrangement Plan of Gurjaani Municipality and Gurjaani Town Centre Development Regulation Plan
The kick-off event took place virtually on 16 March 2022, 11:00 – 12:50.
Meeting objectives were to:
- to introduce a pilot SEA project for the draft Spatial Arrangement Plan of Gurjaani Municipality and Gurjaani Town Centre Development Regulation Plan
- to brief on the status of and milestones for the development of these two spatial plans
- to outline the benefits and potential main constraints related to the implementation of the pilot SEA project
The following outputs/strategic benefits were also achieved:
- the event positioned the pilot project as the reference case example it is intended to be for the application of SEA to spatial planning in Georgia
- it provided visibility to the leadership of the national stakeholders in the implementation of the pilot.
The meeting was followed by a training in the afternoon aiming to build capacities on the practical application of SEA and introduce main principles of efficient SEA application to the spatial plans.
The meeting gathered up to 30 participants from MEPA, MRDI, a planning team tasked with the development of the two spatial plans as well as environmental NGOs active in this area.
Since late 2021, to further enhance capacities for practical application of SEA in Georgia, at the request of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture (MEPA) and the Ministry of Regional Development and Infrastructure (MRDI), UNECE has supported the preparation of a pilot SEA project for the two interlinked draft spatial plans to be developed for Gurjaani municipality: Spatial Arrangement Plan of the Gurjaani Municipality and the Gurjaani Town Centre Development Regulation Plan. The pilot SEA will be implemented in 2022-2023 in parallel with the development of the two plans.
The pilot SEA provided hands-on learning for applying SEA to draft spatial plans (involving analytical and consultative tasks and including, as appropriate, methodological coaching on the preparation and quality control of relevant documentation etc.) This kick-off event introduced the pilot to stakeholders and the public in Georgia and was followed back-to-back by a technical training on SEA procedures for national experts on the team of the pilot project.