Position: Communications Consultant
Organization: World Bank
Contract Duration: The initial estimated level of effort for this position is 20 days, starting from September 1, 2023. The initial contract will be in effect until June 30, 2024, following the World Bank fiscal year calendar. The contract may be extended into subsequent fiscal years upon successful performance. The level of effort required may be adjusted throughout the fiscal year based on the editorial calendar and other activities.
Application Deadline: June 19, 2023
The World Bank is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Consultant to support communication work as part of the EU4Environment Programme. The Consultant will contribute to the implementation of the Communication and Visibility Strategy, focusing on public awareness, outreach, and dissemination activities.
Background and Objectives:
The EU4Environment programme aims to assist Eastern partner countries in preserving their natural capital and improving people’s well-being. The programme supports environment-related action, promotes greener growth, and enhances mechanisms for managing environmental risks and impacts. It is implemented through country-specific work and regional cooperation, aligning with Eastern Partnership commitments, EU environmental legislation, the European Green Deal, and international frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement.
Scope of Work:
The Consultant will be responsible for leading communication work under Result Area 4 of the EU4Environment Programme. The main tasks include (Note: the list of tasks below is a list of possible tasks that will be adjusted throughout the year according to needs):
- Developing and implementing a Communication Plan/Editorial Calendar to support program communication objectives throughout the program cycle.
- Creating content such as articles, blogs, press releases, media briefing materials, and success stories for the program’s websites and social media platforms.
- Coordinating the design and development of publications, videos, infographics, and other communication materials as needed.
- Editing and synthesizing program outputs into briefs, factsheets, and other materials.
- Coordinating the translation of publications and materials into the national languages of the Eastern partner countries.
- Monitoring media coverage, preparing media clipping reports, estimating reach, and maintaining an archive of program communication materials.
- Providing input to the European Commission’s and EU Delegations’ communication channels.
- Liaising with relevant stakeholders, including the OECD Communication Officer, European Commission, EU Delegations, World Bank Country Offices, and contractors, for input, approval, and joint communication materials/events.
- University degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international development, or a relevant discipline.
- Minimum of ten years of relevant experience in journalism, public relations, advocacy, international relations, marketing, or international development in one or more of the Eastern partner countries.
- Strong communication skills in writing and editing content, designing communication materials, and fluency in English and one of the Eastern partner countries’ languages.
- Ability to analyze complex information and synthesize it into communication documents.
- Experience in media relations, including traditional and social media, and familiarity with the media landscape in one or more Eastern partner countries.
- Familiarity with the work of the World Bank and the European Commission, and experience with EU-funded programs is desirable.
- Interest in and understanding of environmental issues and the context of the Eastern partner countries.
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently, be proactive, and meet deadlines.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications, including a CV and a cover letter, by June 19, 2023. Applications should be sent to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Consultant Application – [Your Name]” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
For more information about the EU4Environment Programme, visit the website: www.eu4environment.org.