Position: Short-term Consultant / Country Activity Coordinator
Organization: World Bank
Contract Duration: Initial estimated level of effort of 40 days (subject to extension based on the scope of activities and performance)
Application Deadline: June 6, 2023
The World Bank is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Consultant to support the coordination of activities in Ukraine as part of the EU4Environment Programme. The EU4Environment programme aims to help EU’s Eastern partner countries preserve their natural capital, promote greener growth, and enhance the management of environmental risks and impacts. The Programme is implemented through country-specific work and regional cooperation, with a focus on aligning with EU commitments, environmental legislation, the European Green Deal, and international environmental agreements. The World Bank is in the lead of four sub-components: 4.1 – support to protect biodiversity and natural ecosystems (Emerald network); 4.2 – promoting sustainable natural resources management (NRM), economic development and participation at local community level; 4.3 – support to the promotion of legal trade and preventing illegal trade in wood products; and 4.4 – enhancing strategic financing to the forest and natural resource management sectors.
As a Consultant / Country Activity Coordinator, you will work closely with the Programme Management Team and the World Bank Country Program Coordinator to support the implementation of country-specific activities and regional initiatives.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with government officials,
- Providing input to activity design,
- Overseeing contractors’ work,
- Participating in evaluation processes,
- Contributing to progress reports and communication materials, and
- Representing the World Bank team in meetings and events.
You will also stay updated on environmental initiatives by other donors in the country to promote collaboration and avoid duplication of work.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- An advanced degree in environmental and natural resources management or a related field of expertise
- At least 5 years of experience in natural resources management, including engagement with international agencies, conducting Technical Assistance activities, and participating in environmental/forest policy dialogue and governance issues
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with client agencies
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage assignments in a complex environment
- Outstanding facilitation and coordination skills, including experience in developing partnerships with stakeholders representing diverse interests
- Familiarity with the approaches, tools, and practices of the World Bank, European Commission, United Nations, and other donors regarding program results and reporting
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to draft technical papers, plans, reports, and communicate effectively with colleagues and counterparts
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize multi-stakeholder meetings and workshops
- Strong team player with the ability to work without supervision, be proactive, and meet deadlines
- Excellent knowledge of English and Ukrainian languages
The Consultant will report to the Program Task Team Leader and World Bank Country Programme Coordinator.
Interested candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Cover letter expressing motivation and suitability for the position
- Contact details of three professional references
Please email your application to email@example.com with the subject line “Consultant/Country Activity Coordinator Application – [Your Name]”.
The deadline for applications is June 6, 2023, cob Kyiv time.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
For more information about the EU4Environment Programme, please visit www.eu4environment.org.
Note: The contract will follow the World Bank fiscal year calendar (July 1 to June 30), and the level of effort will be proportional to the scope of activities throughout the fiscal year.