The results of the long-term investments in implementing Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) in Ukraine are now gathered in eight publications (available in English and Ukrainian).
Eight Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) from Ukraine who have successfully participated in the EU-funded EaP GREEN Programme, are now featured for the way in which they successfully adopted the RECP methodology into their production means. The introduction of RECP has been part of the EU-funded programmes: EaP GREEN (2013-2017) and EU4Environment Action (2019-2022) executed by UNIDO. In this context, eight Ukrainian SMEs joined the RECP training and demonstration programme under EaP GREEN. Follow-up visits have been then conducted four years later under the new Action to check on the implementation pace of the RECP options, including with the monitoring of the hitherto incentives and barriers.
RECP has demonstrated to be an effective instrument in lowering production costs whilst improving the competitive advantage of enterprises (by applying environmentally friendly practices). The technical assistance and training provided to the eight selected companies outlined a RECP assessment that later identified specific RECP options for each company, contributing to development of an RECP action plan as a part of the company business strategy. According to the plan, the SMEs prioritised and implemented the most feasible options. Simultaneously, each company continued to integrate RECP measures and identified further opportunities.
Examples of the implemented RECP options include:
- replacing burnout additives to change composition and reduce the GHG content of emissions
- substituting incandescent bulbs with LEDs
- exchanging pneumatic tools with electrical tools to reduce leakages, increase the efficiency of the compressed air systems, and boost economic savings
- replacing air compressors to reduce energy consumption
- investing in waste processing systems, including those dedicated to processing and recycling plastic waste
- installing a forced draft air ventilation system to recover the discharge heat
Access to the publications in English: http://www.recpc.org/recp-case-studies-en/
Access to the publications in Ukrainian: http://www.recpc.org/recp-case-studies-ua/